Today makes it exactly 9 months that faith and fate combined to honour me with the exalted seat of the Acting Rector, Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja.
Faith because, by the virtue of the appointment, His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello, the Executive Governor of the State, demonstrated absolute and invaluable confidence in my ability. And Fate because, God in His infinity mercy, put a seal on His Excellency’s decision.
To the glory of God, the period has been eventful, culminating in the growth and development of my dear alma mata.
I honour and glorify God Almighty for his benevolence, guidance, wisdom and sound health.
Most sincerely, I remain eternally grateful to His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello (the benefactor of the children of Mr. nobody) for the rare privilege and opportunity to serve humanity in my current capacity.
I appreciate His Excellency, Chief Edward David Onoja for the unqualified love, encouragement and support.
I deeply appreciate Pharmacist Abdulkareem Jamiu Asuku, the humble, humane and amiable Chief of Staff to our dear Governor, for the invaluable and memorable support all the time.
I appreciate the entire members of the New Direction team and family for their support, and for believing in our capacity to deliver on the mandate.
My profound appreciation goes to staff and, most importantly, the students of the institution for the love, suggestions, support and partnership.
In a special way, I appreciate the press and civil societies for the partnership, constructive engagements, responsible self-censorship and invaluable support
Even as this is not a period for stock taking, it glorifies God almighty to reflect on the highlights of our modest accomplishments which are in line with the development template of His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello.
1. Building of a Model Security House, as a replacement for a 3-room cubicles inherited.
2. Provision of Security Communication gadget and installation of CCTV across our Lokoja campus.
3. Provision of a 30-bed Medical Centre named “HAJIYA HAUWAU OZIOHU BELLO MEDICAL CENTRE”, as a replacement for a 3-bed sick bay we inherited
4. Restoration of internet services to the campus after over 5 years of non- existence.
5. Restoration of Computer Based Test (CBT) after over 5 years
6. Floor overlay, renovation and rearrangement of the 500-seat Lecture Theatre
7. Campus illumination with solar and flush lights in our Lokoja campus
8. Aggressive renovation of the student hoste that was stalled since 2017 (ongoing)
9. A storey building complex for Academic – Administrative purpose (Ongoing)
10. A storey building complex Office/Studio for the School of Environmental Technology (ongoing)
11. A storey building office/studio complex for the School of Art, Design and Printing (Ongoing)
12. A storey building Office/Labouratory for the School of Applied Sciences (Ongoing)
13. A storey building Laboratory/office complex for the School of Sciences
14. A 200-capacity twin Lecture Theatre (Ongoing)
15. Creation of Directorate of Sports
16. Creation of Directorate of Advancement, Support and Linkages
17. Creation of Directorate of SERVICOM
18. Creation of Directorate of Information Technology and Resource Centre
19. Creation of Legal Unit (First in the history of the institution)
21. Campus beautification
23. Production of Maiden Annual Report for the institution
24. Review of Students Information Handbook
25. Clearing of backlog of results
26. Setting up of Central Students Disciplinary Committee
27. Setting up of Central Examination Misconduct Committee
28. Setting of Academic Board Results Verification Commmitee (as a prelude to the Academic Board meeting) for proper scrutiny and cost effectiveness
29. Frontal tackling of cultism, examination Misconduct, indiscipline and other social vices.
30. Consultative and participatory governance and administration through committee system.
31. Zero tolerance for sectionalism and nepotism
32. Zero tolerance for abuse of sales of textbooks to our students.
33. Zero tolerance for extortion and any other unethical/sharp practices.
34. Repositioning of the Polytechnic Staff school for immediate take – off
35. Reorganisation and repositioning of the Public Relations and Protocol Unit for effective service delivery
36. Comprehensive posting of both the Registry and Bursary staff for job rotation, against the hitherto personalisation of offices.
37. Comprehensive reforms for quality assurance and restoration of the cherished glory of the Kogi State Polytechnic
38. Courageous ejection of the Zango market operators and their menacing activities (in collaboration with land grabbers) from the front of our Itakpe Campus
39. Successful relocation of the School of Preliminary Studies from the Osara campus for immediate occupation and take off of the Confluence State University of Science and Technology
40. Extension of light to the School of Management Sciences and the Enterpreneurship Development Centre
41. Relocation of the Football pitch and other Sports Centres (Ongoing)
42. Overall restoration of discipline amongst staff for maximum service with dignity.
43. Payment of inherited allowances such as Part Time, PUTME and others to the deserving staff.
44. Reclaiming of the erstwhile notorious “Pipeline” from the suspected bad elements on the campus.
Indeed, to the glory of God, we can say that the foetus conceived 9 months ago and uniquely midwifed by His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello, has resulted in 44 children of different complexions, sizes, sex, and still counting.
With the exemplary faith and support of His Execellency and the continued maximum cooperation of all sundry, we are determined to nurture the products of the pregnancy and lots more for the benefit of mankind.
God bless you ALL.