The Ondo Sate Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has stated that one of the five arrested suspects listed by the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, is not one of the suspected attackers of the St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo.
In a statement on Wednesday, titled, “Akeredolu Clears Air On Arrest Of Kuje Prison Escapee, Idris Ojo,” signed by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Richard Olatunde, Akeredolu noted that there was a mix-up by Irabor.
Irabor had announced on Tuesday that five suspected masterminds of the Owo attack had been arrested.
He said, “On August 4, the military, in a combined operation with the Department of State Service, arrested four terrorists at Eika in Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.
“On August 7, one Idris Ojo (37) was apprehended at Aiyetoro in Ondo State. He was one of the high-profile Islamic State of West Africa Province members that escaped from Kuje Prison.
Clarifying, the statement from the Ondo State Government read, “The attention of the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has been drawn to the announcement of Idris Ojo as one of the attackers of St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, arrested by the security agencies.
“Governor Akeredolu acknowledged the confusion which the statement had created in the public space, considering that the ugly event of the June 5 attack in Owo preceded the unfortunate incident at Kuje prison.
“The Governor said there was a mix-up in the announcement by Irabor.
“Akeredolu explained that Idris Ojo, who is number 14 on the wanted list of the Kuje Prison escapees, was arrested in his brother’s house in Akure.
“The announcement of the arrest of Ojo as one of the perpetrators of the June 5 attack in Owo was a mix-up from Irabor.
“Ojo was arrested in his brother’s house in Akure. His brother, Jimoh Ibrahim, received and accommodated him after his escape from Kuje prison.”
“He was thereafter moved and kept in the custody of the security officials at the same time the attackers of Owo Catholic Church were arrested and brought into custody. Hence, the mix-up,” the governor was quoted to have said.
He urged members of the public to remain vigilant and give necessary supports to the security agencies in the state.